Self-talk…the key behind everyone’s success. If you want to be successful at your job, a sport, or even a goal, you MUST have positive self-talk. Every day the voices inside our heads fight against one another, usually the negative one winning. The outcome of this daily battle is that we form low self-esteem or it makes it more difficult to be successful at what we want to accomplish. Here are 5 ways that will help you throughout the day to keep a positive and healthy mind.
- How do you talk? For a whole day pay close attention to what you say in stressful and non-stressful situations. Listen to the tone of your voice and how it makes the other person feel. You can make note of the positive things you say and know what you said was good. But also make note of what positive changes you can still make, and then you will be able to work on those situations by including positive self-talk and communication.
- Eliminate Negative Talk. The first thing you must do is eliminate all of the negative thoughts that go through your head. It will take some time, but you have to be conscious of what you think throughout the day. Determine whether your thoughts are positive or negative. If you find some that are negative, find a way to spin them in a positive direction. That alone will change the whole perspective of your day.
- Separate yourself. To be successful at creating a positive mind you have to separate yourself from negative surroundings. There might be people in your life that are constantly negative or bringing you down. If you want to accomplish your goals, you need to distance yourself from people like those to help your self-talk become more positive.
- Encourage others. If distancing yourself from negative people is difficult for you to do, there is another alternative. When someone is negative, practice saying something positive back to them. Not only does this change your thought process, but it changes theirs as well. In the end you can possibly improve the lives of 2 people just by your response.
- Look ahead. Avoid dredging up past experiences where things didn’t go your way. Instead look ahead and think hopefully about the future. Whether it is losing weight, becoming stronger, getting a promotion, finding the one; keep your eyes on what you want in life and let the past be the past.